Re: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd (fwd)

Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:36:37 -0700

Stuart,

The name "Platinotype" is used by Bostick & Sullivan, a (if not the) major
supplier of materials for Pt/Pd processes. I think the name originated
there. (Maybe Dick Sullivan will verify or deny this.) It is indeed the same
as Cranes Crest Natural White Wove 90# Cover. The same paper is also
available as Cranes Artificial Parchment from New York Central Art Supply. I
have here some of each of those as well as a small (8.5 x 11) ream in Cranes
original packaging complete with label. They all look and feel the same. So
I wonder if you may have used something else at your seminar. Cranes Kid
Finish, an excellent paper in it's own right, is often used in workshops
since it is very easy to work with and is available in many stationary
shops. Just a guess.

Over the last couple years, I have been working closely with Mr Arentz
testing a wide range of papers using the methods of Pt/Pd printing that he
uses and teaches. Our results and recommendations will be included in a
chapter of the forthcoming new edition of his book "Platinum and Palladium
Printing" from Focal Press which should be available soon. Of course since
the deadline passed there are already a few changes I would like to make,
but the paper section will be (I believe) the most comprehensive examination
of papers for Pt/Pd printing yet published. That is not to say that it is
complete. The subject is endless and everchanging as much recent discussion
on the list will attest.

I suppose if there is interest I could post my notes to the list or send an
attachment file to interested individuals.

Hope this helps answer your question. Good luck with your printing.

Keith Schreiber
jkschreiber@worldnet.att.net

>Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:34:08 +0000
>From: stuart goldstein <satgre@worldnet.att.net>
>To: jseigel@panix.com
>Subject: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd
>
>====== cut==========
>
>My classmate and I are just getting into Pt/Pd printing and I bought some
>paper directly from Cranes. I bought crest natural white wove 90# cover
stock
>because they told me that they don't sell a paper called Platinotype but I
was
>assured by one of Crane's reps that this is what Dick Arentz uses. Also the
>description of this paper matched the description of the Crane Platinotype
>paper in Photographers Formulary.
>
>Well, it arrived today and it doesn't have the same feel as the paper that
>used in a one day pt seminar that I took (and when I spoke with the
instructor
>today, he told me that he only uses the Cranes for class because it's less
expensive).

>Have you (or anyone you know) used this paper and were you successful?
Because