VanDyke on alt surfaces (and hello, again)

Risa Simone Horowitz (rsh662ta@artslab.usask.ca)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:39:04 -0600

Greeting List-folk
I'm back, and hoping to stick around a bit longer this time (ahhh, the
wonders of research accounts!)

I am currently trying to figure out how to print and successfully fix
VanDyke onto flat plaster surfaces. So far, brushing 2 coats of solution
onto unsealed plaster, with my lights, prints a beautiful soft beige image.
I set the plaster face up into the sodium thiosulphate bate for 30 seconds,
and washed, face up, for 30 minutes. The reason I washed face up was for
fear of scratching the resulting image before hardening. The plaster
withstands the long washing time.

However, less than 48 hours later, after setting the printed plaster to dry
in a room with a big window, my suspicions before I started were confirmed:
the plaster is so absorbent that the solution wasn't fully exposed, nor
fully fixed or washed: my entire brushed surface is a lovely, even brown :
full fog in effect.

I also tried one exposure onto plaster sealed with acrylic medium (matte),
and the brown tone was beautiful, but there was uneven exposure, escessive
brush marks and the medium could not withstand the wash: it turned to mush
and looks nasty.

Has anyone ever attempted vandyke's onto plaster? Can anyone off a
suggestion of what other sealants I could try (without losing the original
texture of the plaster), and what method of application would be least
obtrusive? Any other suggestions?

Thanks and HI to all the list people who still remember me

Risa S. Horowitz