Re: Woodburytype

Jan van Dijk (janvdijk@bart.nl)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:49:35 +0100

Look in the archives, but I will repeat it again:

Johan de Zoete and I, Jan van Dijk (both from Holland) worked on the Woodburytype process from 1984 until 1990.
We used the original formulaes as described by W.B. W. himself (in the RPS archives; ask them) and reconstructed the whole process in practical terms from 1984-1987, including making several perfect reliefs and several perfect hydraulic leaden pressings from them.
The hydraulic press (which I own) has only 50 tons max. to offer, so the leaden mould we produced measured only 7x10 cm.
We made several castings from the mould, which were not at all perfect, due to the fact that we ran out of money (own funds) and time. I showed all of the results at Bath (APIS).
Recently we decided to finish the job.
We keep you posted when there will be results.
In the mean time (if you are impatient) read Leon Vidal on Photoglypty (French; also translated into German). That wil answer all the questions that may arise.

We wish any serious worker lots of luck in going through the whole process. (You may try making carbon prints first).

Jan van Dijk.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    Van: Vincent Hoban <hobanv@ncad.ie>
    Aan: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
    Datum: vrijdag 12 maart 1999 17:57
    Onderwerp: Woodburytype

     In Feb Richard Lahrson wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember reading about the Woodbury process. Anyone know of
>> more
>> information about it on the web? This process was actually a
>> graphic arts
>> process that printed without the familiar half-tone dots. If I
>> recall
>> it used gelatin and a hugh amount of pressure from a gigantic press
>> and
>> is probably closely related to the carbon process in regards to the
>> physical-chemical reactions.
>>
>> Rich Lahrson
>> tripspud@hooked.ne

    I realize this reply is a little after the fact (middle of Feb) - but
    I'm only now catching up with what has been happening on the list.

    Yes I am still here and working on the Woodburytype - and I have never
    found any good recent information on the process and certainly none on
    the web. It is a continuous tone printing process - a photo-mechanical
    process - but the method of arriving at the plate is related to the
    carbon process and other organic colloid/bichromate processes. The
    'gigantic press' was required to press the gelatine relief into a sheet
    of lead to make the printing plate. However Woodbury himself refined his
    method to do away with the hydraulic press (Stanotype) - and many recent
    experimenters in the process - myself included - have turned to various
    types of casting resins not available to Woodbury.

    Peter Jackson in Australia is perhaps the expert in the history of
    Woodburytype and there is also a gentleman in GB who is an avid
    collector and member of the Royal Photo. Society who is extremely
    knowledgeable - whose name escapes me right at the moment.

    If you want more info feel free to contact me and I'll see what I can
    do.

    Best wishes

    Vincent