Re: VanDyke on alt surfaces

Risa Simone Horowitz (rsh662ta@artslab.usask.ca)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:48:39 -0600

Kevin, some questions in response to your suggestions,

-I have found that after a 2-3 minute still water developing, the hypo tends
to have no further influence on the brown tones, and actually, it begins to
bleach the images quite quickly. I will dilute my hypo further, but in your
experience, how long should the image stay in the hypo?

- your point #7a After quick wash blot dry: what means quick? My
understanding is that the final wash, using papers, should be between 30-40
minutes with running water. One of the variables I suspect in the failure of
my first tests was not enough washing (and washing face up, so that the
excell solution couldn't wash off, but rather soaked right back into the
plaster). So, how quick?

- thank you for reminding me that I have alternates to a densitometer! I've
got a meter and a light table, and fairly close to my inkjet printer, great
tip

Also, I am using a fairly old vandyke solution (about 2.5 years). I strained
the precipitants, and the solution is not all that contrasty. I will try
increasing the contrast once I've achieved a succesful method of printing
and fixing (with Keepers of Light suggested potassium dichromate), and once
I've printed the best negs possible. During exposure, the solution slowly
changes from a faint yellowish to a more intense greeny-yellow. Can you
describe the action of your chemistry during exposure more fully?

thank you,
more updates later.
Cheers
Risa