arches HP & CP

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:35:42 -0800

i've used both the Arches HP and CP for Pt/Pa Andy--about 4 years ago. at
the time, i preferred the cold press but i expect that this had to do with
the contrast of my negatives? --i was still making more typical film for the
Pt process then. i suspect i might like the HP better now than i did
before. I recall having some instances of having the image lift a bit when
processing with hot pot oxalate -- not the whole thing but just small
"particles" big enough for me to notice swimming in the drink -- i think i
resolved this by presoaking and drying the paper before coating -- maybe
giving it a bit of a soak in an edta clearing solution (i usually opt for
the kodak version cause its cheap and easy) and a washing to open up the
fibers just a smidgen--i know i have done this edta thing before but can't
say for sure if it was arches or another hp paper. sort of desizing a
slick paper as opposed to sizing a soft paper prior to use---only drawback i
know really is the expense---these wc papers are relatively expensive
papers -- maybe 2x platine, bfk, and some other good printing papers?

but you can do a lot with a paper surface....i imagine it would not be
impossible to get the buffers out of a buffered paper you really wanted to
use....

and a great van dyke to ya' today andy

jewelia Margueritta Cameroon