Re: paper language

Hamish Stewart (hamish.stewart@wanadoo.fr)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:28:52 +0000

Jewelia - firstly I just want to say thank you for starting such an
interesting post about such an essential subject.. Makes me realize that
I need to read more about paper..

>starting with western paper: in summary (for my style and what i could
>do):::

SNIP

>some of our processes-- more than others are --at least from one
>perspective-- seem trapped on a white cotton surface these days--mostly
>for somewhat assumed archival purposes

Perhaps the major reason that I have stayed with standard cotton papers
is that they firstly withstand the constant development/redevelopment
cycles I use for multiple gum printing. Also I need papers with good
dimensional stability. You mentioned that Gampi paper (I did get it right
didn't I) does NOT have good dimensional stability.. Do you know of an
alternative (ie non-cotton, non standard paper) that provides both good
wet strenght, plus good dimensional stability. Just for the record my
current favorite paper is Saunders waterford HP and CP. I have also
printed Gum (single coat only) on silk. My problem though is that I love
the depth and complexity and multiple coat gums too much to use
alternative supports that cannot provide all the benefits of my favoured
standard papers.

SNIP

The Washi papers sound interesting, and I have looked at many papers - or
rather looked at them, enjoyed the surface and then touched them and
thought - no not going to work for me :-). So I am wary to work with
papers that won't handle the 6-14 coats that I use with gum printing. Now
you mentioned that the Japanese papers are actually very tough, but you
suggested that dimensional stabilty can be a problem.

Cheers

Hamish Stewart

Gum Bichromate Photography

web: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hamish/gumphoto.html