Re: Mylar, Jobo and Negative Streaking

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:30:05 -0500

Stephen,

Are the tubes you are using completely smooth inside? If so, I'm back to
square one understanding the streaks. I thought they came from the
ridges in the print drums I was using. My hunch is that your reversing
modification may help a lot. I'll have to ask Jon about this machine, I
don't think it's mentioned in the literature I have on his products.

BTW, going back to old fashioned trays does not (as you'll see in Pat
Alt's message) mean a sentence of one sheet at a time. Batch development
works great as long as you get the scratch situation under control. My
recent tests have delivered much *better* overall evenness of
development doing four or six sheets at a time than I got doing the
tedious and supposedly optimal one-sheet-up routine. That gave more "hot
edge" trouble than batch processing with bottom to top sheet rotation.
This may be helpful to folks doing big sheets for enlarged positives and
negatives. Comments from enlargers?

For anyone who has avoided tray processing because of scratches, it may
not be your technique that is at fault. I'm now convinced that some
water supplies overly soften some films, and I *think* distilled water
may cure the problem. I'll report when I'm certain one way or the other
about the distilled solution.

---Carl