Re: Platinum portraits

Altview@aol.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:59:42 -0500 (EST)

Even though I also shoot landscape images, the figurative work I do and have
done for the last 30 years is promarily portraiture. However, I consider a
photograph a portrait when the subject is looking directly into the lenses,
regardless of how far away the subject is. My portaits run the gamut from
distant figures in the landscape to close ups in a studio. Portraiture is a
problematic subject for many people as in the real world of galleries,
portaits of non celebrities have the most problems being sold. This, of
course, is no reason not to produce them. I virtually never sell a portrait
through one of my galleries, but sell landscapes quite frequently. I still do
more portraits anyway. I don't know if this is a factor for anyone, but it is
a reality in the art world.

Patrick Alt