Gold toning Pt/Pd

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 01:28:27 -0800

Tonight, while trying to solve some argyrotype problems, I went into the
chemistry boxes and emerged with the goods to make the Thiourea-Gold
toner I've played with in standard Kallitype printing. Out of curiosity,
I decided to try toning a couple of reject Pt/Pd prints. In the bath, I
noticed a quick pop in dmax and contrast with a very slight cooling
effect in tonal color. On drying, these are less aparent, but still, it
looks like it effected the print to a small degree.

I am wondering whether this toner has any application to Pt/Pd printing?
I don't see any references in any of the few pt/pd books around the
house. Also, in Kallitype printing, the print goes back into the fixer
after toning (to clear residual gold I surmise) - but what about Pt/Pd?
Maybe Sullivan's HC-110 or Dektol clearing bath used in his gold toning
process? Hypo?

Best,
-Adam