Re: about exotic ferric oxalate and ziatype

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:04:38 -0700

I am particularly interested in what results you get from the cesium ferric
oxalate. Since cesium is down at the bottom of the table, it could be a
little different.

 I came across the Ziatype process by exploring just like you are doing. I
started first by making all kinds of double palladium salts. It's when I
came to the lithium palladium chloride salt that I got some radical
changes, the major of which was the neutral black. The only other neutral
black is magnesium palladium chloride which seems almost a twin of the
lithium.

However most of the salts produced only slightly different results. The
same is true of the exotic ferric oxalates.

I made an attempt at lithium chloroplatinite but all I got was an insoluble
sludge. I may have messed up on this however. It intuitively seems like it
should be nice and soluble, but chemistry is not always intuitive.

--Dick

At 11:17 AM 3/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Texte du message écrit par INTERNET:alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
>>Just a little hint. After you've added all the ingredients to make the
>exotic FO, if the solution is not a clear clean color, and is dirty or
>muddy in appearance, keep adding some oxalic acid until it clears up to a
>bright color. The smallest excess of the carbonate can cause muddiness. I
>think carbonates can have some excess moisture or be a drier than the last
>batch and cause your weighing to be off a little. It's like cake flour, you
>
>have to adjust for the moisture.Dick<
>
>Still another hint I picked up from Dana Sullivan for mixing the exotic
>ferric oxalates: a tiny amount, literally a pinch, of EDTA helps the
>ingredients go into solution much more easily.---Carl
>
>hello dick and carl
>I already done that . but thanks for the tips. As I 've got your book and
>read in and betwenn the line this two ideas were my to first solution when
> saw a muudy appearence.
>thanks
>
>nze christian (france)

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857