RE: Kallitype image invertion/oops!

Jerry Orabona (jorabona@jerryo.com)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:12:26 -0500

Dick Stevens in "Making Kallitypes" p.26 does discuss contemporay formulae
(formulas ?) using Silver Nitrate (1.5%). One is a sodium citrate, sodium
acetate, silver nitrate, ammonia combination. The other was a potassium
oxalate version which also used 1.5% Silver.

He summarizes that "a 10% ferric sensitizer and a 1.5% silver nitrate
developer made with either potassium oxalate or sodium acetate will produce
K1 prints that are quite acceptable." I have not tried his formula since I
am quite happy with the one I am now using.

As for the inversion, Kallitypes, relative to most other "alt" processes,
expose rather quickly. During class a couple of weeks ago we had exposures
so short (30sec in sunlight) we had to add neutral density (frosted acetate
over the contact printing frame). It is my opinion that the inversion is
mainly caused by over exposure. In some cases the fixer bleached away the
extra density returning the print to normal. In cases where the student lost
track of the exposure time the print was hopelessly solorized. Solarization
was more of a problem in the prints processed in developers (Rochelle salts)
without any dichromate.
 The more contrasty developer helped by increasing the exposure time as well
as the dichromate having some restraining properties.

I have a pretty good Rochelle salts developer formula (#1) posted on my site
http://jerryo.com with which provided the negative is not overexposed you
can expect beautiful results, rich DMAX and clear highlights.

cheers--

Jerry
http://kmcamera.com