Re: Colour Calotype

Martin Becka (Martin.Becka@wanadoo.fr)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:50:44 +0100

Hello Hamish

You wrote on Sun, 21 Mar 1999

>I have a question for the list. This past weekend in Paris I saw the work
>of a Spanish photographer - Toni Catany. Some interesting work, but the
>process is indicated as Calotype but these are colour prints. An
>interesting look...

Colour calotype don't exist. I had seen this exhibition. The prints exposed
by the Agathe Gailard's Gallery
are polaroid transfers and some of the prints are inkjet prints. In the
70/80 Toni Catany made a serie of still life and a another serie of nude in
"calotype" .I know only reproductions in catalogue and books of this works
and had never seen originals .
The calotype process dicovered by Fox Talbot ( and some evolution of this
process so as the Le Gray Waxed paper negative process, Humbert de Mollard
process, Bayard's paper negative process and Baldus process) are a paper
negative made on writing paper, which is sensibilised with silver iodid ,
exposed and developped with gallic acid. It's the first negative process
used before albumen and collodion plates.

best

Martin

Martin.Becka@wanadoo.fr
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/martin.becka/