Re: Richard Henry's Controls in B&W Photography

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 00:34:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, terryroth wrote:
> ***********************8
>
> yEA, verily, I have tried using the Ansel Adams shuffle, the Minor
> White splat-n-slide, and no matter how careful I am, I always get
> scratches on the negs---in the sky, natch, where they're most visible.

You do know, Terry, that Photoshop 5 has a filter to ADD scratches. You
could save a bundle if you're getting them without....

So OK, maybe you're not interested -- that's not why I'm writing anyway. I
was going to comment that brush development is what I use on large lith
film (which is notoriously goosey), and encourage in students, who also
find it's better for large sheets when they can get past their inhibitions
& do it.

But I wondered, what "brush" do you use?

I also find, BTW, that the *speed* of the brushing is a big variable. For
less contrast, brush slower, and vice versa -- tho that may not matter so
much with regular contone film.

Judy