Trials and Tribulations of the Digital Neg.

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:49:58 -0800

Oh no...

Well, after two imagesetters seemed incapable of providing output that came
anywhere near to approaching my criteria, I finally thought I found a good local
shop. They are a high-end prepress house with a Linotype-Hell Herkules Pro
capable of 5081 DPI - which would render my 300LPI negs with 256 shades. Things
went well initially as I ouptut some wedges, but my first real negative came back
with VERY fine lines through the film. These lines are probably a pixel wide and
run in the direction of the film through the rollers. David Fokos (who helped me
tremendously) informed me that these lines may be "static" lines - and the only
workable solution is changing the humidity of the room where the imagesetter
works. Not exactly something I can request being that I spend $100/month there!
Ha. However, if you have another idea about what is going on, I am all ears.

Which brings me to my real question- where do I turn? I'm willing to send my work
out of state if necessary - just as long as I get high-quality results. If you
are doing digital linescreen negs at 300LPI, I'd really love to hear where you are
getting them done.

Much thanks,
Adam