Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Digital Neg.

Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:27:37 -0700

Something along the lines of the NuArc 26-1K Mercury Vapor unit is usually
considered a point source, at least in comparison with a fluorescent unit.
Personally, I think this is a mis-characterization, since the NuArc unit,
which has a vacuum base of 23x27 inches, utilizes a reflector of
approximately 16x20 inches.

I had access to one of these for a while and used it along with my home-made
fluorescent units for a couple years. Once calibrated to each other to
accommodate different timing methods, I found no discernible difference that
could be attributed to the light source. I would be most impressed by anyone
who could look at pairs of prints, one from each light source, and be able
to consistently identify which was which. That said, I want to point out
that I use in-camera large-format negatives. There may well be something
physically different about film produced by an imagesetter that would
respond differently to the different light sources.

And don't forget - the sun is the ultimate point-source.