Re: Re: Cost of digital negs

Valburg (lkv1@psu.edu)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 14:50:47 -0500

At 11:38 AM 4/3/99 -0500, Dave S. wrote:

(Adam Kimball wrote:)
><<As for the digital neg - I am not familiar with the LightJet. I suspect
it
>is a
>film-recorder device (LVT), used to expose color negatives and
>transparencies.>>
>
>I have never used LightJet but have seen the samples. It is used to expose
>photographic paper directly. The paper and chemical are slightly different
>(not RA4), and I believe according to some tests, it last longer than the
>standard RA4 prints.

Dave's describing the Lightjet 5000, a device for reflective output. The
device used by Gamma, referred to by the original poster, is (as Adam
Kimball speculated) a film recorder yielding an essentially continuous
tone, real film negative or transparency. BTW, Dave, the 5000 you're
referring to can be set up to use a variety of standard photographic
materials, including RA4 and Ilfochrome.

Regards,
Mitch V.