Re: Diatamaceous earth

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 22:35:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 Foulow@aol.com wrote:

> New voice, folks!
> I have a system that I really like for sizing gum. I use Todd Walker's alum
> and spray starch method first. The directions are in my book, New Dimensions

Hi Laura.... welcome ! What's that alum & spray starch? I had disaster
any time with spray starch, but maybe the alum does something good?

Is there any particular paper you recommend for this method?

> in PhotoImaging (Focal Press). I size quite a few sheets at the same time
> because it is time-consuming and requires a relatively clean area. When I am
> ready to print, I use only one coating of diluted polymer spread evenly with
> a sponge brush, also in my book. Before each additional color, I coat one
> layer of the diluted polymer medium.

Does it matter if it's glossy or mat? How much dilute?

> The advantage, I find, of this procedure is that the paper stays supptle and
> the highlights remain clean.

And it probably doesn't curl so much...

cheers,

Judy