Re: toning formulas in book

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Sil Horwitz wrote:

> I have both books, and they are just what they are called - "cookbooks."
> Formulas and ways to make them. Unlike Wall's out of print book, however, they
> have no detailed descriptions of the techniques required for use of the
> formulas. I might mention that, over the years, the PSA Journal has printed

I guess that leaves Issue #3 of Post-Factory, which is going to have quite
a lot of "details"...

> many articles on techniques, including toning, but there are no archives. The
> Society has been reprinting selected articles, but I don't recall any on
> toning. The April issue (present one) has an article on improving prints by
> bleaching, and a short piece on sepia toning. Personally, I wrote quite a bit

You leave out PSA's greatest goody, on Mortensen's Metal KROME, which the
guardian angel has sent .... & will be quoted.

> on the subject, but most of it is in articles published in the 1960's when I
> was doing a lot of experimentation in the field. As far as I know, there is no
> single book that covers just toning. It seems to be almost a lost art, what
> with the preponderance of color prints. Also, permanence is suspect with all
> toning outside of sepia (sulfide) and selenium.

Well, there's also gold, even palladium... and I suspect BTW (maybe you
can comment on this, Sil) that you can improve archivality of some of the
others (like copper) by selenium toning after other toning. Just don't
overbleach, there should be some silver left...

cheers,

Judy