RE: Epson Platinums?

Larry Roohr (roohrphoto@orci.com)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:03 -0600

Adam,

I've been working on this as time allows (last night in fact). I've gotten density's over 5 with the Epson 'backlight film' on my EX, but the ink starts to smear and get ugly at some point under that. But it looks like at a 3 or so things are fine. The backlight film is a 1440 dpi product and has a base density of .44, about a stop worse than film. The Epson glossy paper has a base of about .88.
At the higher density's the curve gets pretty steep and quite a bit of compression is needed to get to say a .4 to 1.6 type density, last night I had to compress a gray scale tossing out 88 of 255 levels to get this density range, so thats another concern. For a platinum neg, say .4 to 2.4 it wouldnt be quite as bad but would be close due to the steep slope. Where the curve gets applied may make a difference here, I dont yet know where would be best.

I've also heard great things about the 750 and the new 1200, 6 colors and a 6 picoliter drop (half that of current printers). The new 950 is 4 colors and a 3 picoliter drop and is probably a better choice for mono-negative making, it's only letter size though, the 1200 is 13x17inches or so.

I've sent Epson way too much money over the last few years, looks like their going to 'get' me again.

Larry