Re: Kodalak/amyl acetate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Carl Weese wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Have you tried highly dilute Liquitex? It does a pretty good job of
> restoring part of the "wet look" to Pt prints made on some papers. I
> don't offhand know any reason for it not to have possibilities for gum
> as well and it's easy enough to locate and use.

I have tried "highly dilute," lowly dilute & medium dilute in gloss &
non-gloss and everything else ... yuck. To get enough to affect the look
coats the paper whites in a greasy manner & glares, which has been pretty
much the pattern. (Maybe Demachy's paper was different enough from mine to
respond in a different way, maybe.) Charles's & Jan's comments about
shellac are what I didn't think of. Kremer sold me dark orange &
it sat around until I tried it, then threw it out. White shellac sounds
worth a try...

I bet there's a shellac website too -- waiting for my presence...

As for carbon tet -- I got some solvent or other for the burnt plate oil,
which I forget now, but it's used in printmaking,& they must have a
solvent. I'm not convinced how terrible the carbon tet really is,
another one of those hysterics, since one uses about 1 cc at a time...
but they removed it from market without asking me (maybe they use it for
making crack?).... OK don't get me started... But I do much appreciate the
clues... I like the idea of shellac best so far, but maybe the thing is
just to put it under deep glass ?!

thanks, cheers,

Judy