step wedges and photoshop

aharwell@hhpa.com
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:21:54 -0400

Can anyone explain to me the relationship of optical brightness in Phoshop
(measured in percent or in 255 greylevels) and negative density in a paper
neg? With all this talk of step wedges, I was wondering if a step wedge
could be created in photoshop, printed on the media my paper negs are on,
and used in the same way as a manufactured wedge could be used.

Does optical brightness in Phototoshop occur on a logarhythmic scale? Does
the the software have its own version of a H&D curve? The scanner? The
printer?

If I were to create a step wedge that increased in increments of 5% (for a
total of 21 steps), would the information from that wedge be similar to a
manufactured one? Or could I compute each percent step by using log scale?

Thanks in advance,

                Andrei S. Harwell