Re: RC longevity (was -------) Museum Tested

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:50:14 -0700

Subject: Re: RC longevity (was -------)

> At 10:15 PM 4/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >

> >On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Jack Fulton wrote:
> >

> >> Also, I believe it was David Vestal or Ctein, tested RC papers and
noted
> >> the improvements have been major and the emulsion and archival aspects
> >> were now excellent.
> >
> >Ctein had a series of articles in Photo Techniques in which he documented
> >his disaster with RC paper. He had evidently, decided to do some
> >EXHIBITION prints on RC. (The reason for this told to me was that he saw
> >some Mapplethorpes allegedly done on RC which he admired.) He described
> >efforts to save them with Sistan, etc., to little avail.
> >
> >While it's true that the claim was made years ago that RC papers are now
> >fine & dandy, recent evidence of various kinds (which I did not keep in
my
> >brain as every cell is already rented, so no use asking) is that that's
> >not so. Here's one where I (in anticipation) agree with Bob Maxey, about
> >.... ugh, RC paper. What you do with RC paper is contact it to lith film
> >to make a negative & then a gum print...
> >
> >Judy
> >

> Nonetheless I am asking. The papers I refered to on Thom Bell's web site
> are fairly recent and suggest that RC is about as long lived as fiber
based
> paper.
> All sorts of people do tests for magazines, often not very well
> controlled. Getting valid data about the permanence of photographic
> material is not a simple task. It would be interesting to know the source
> of any recent question of the life of RC paper.
> I am not sure that any of the large material manufacturers are doing
any
> kind of testing anymore. Henry Wilhelm and IPI seem to be about the only
> sources of information. IPI has been criticized by some because of its
> close connection to Kodak.
> ----
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles,Ca.
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

I recall the results from reading recently but cannot recall the source nor
the journal, magazine; it was by someone like the cureator of the Center for
Photographic Arts in Tuscon, or some where equally as prestigeous.

Their findings were for RC paper, the coating seemed to 'trap' the residue
of cleared undeveloped silver halideds as in 'foxing' of poorly fixed,
washed fiber based papers. The RC or resin coating on the paper acted as
would a sealer to house the chemicls and allow the discoloration to become
more and more vivid without possibility of cleaning as we can do with fiber
paper.

SS, Carmel