Re: mysterious whorls

Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:41:55 +0100

We had this happen a few years ago with Fuji 35mm film. We tried it as a
new product, and Fuji said it was our processing technique that was faulty,
which we rejected because it didn't happen with any other emulsion, so we
went back to HP5, and never got to the bottom of why their emulsion was
different. Does this happen with other emulsions?

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT
Tel/Fax + 44 181 883 8638
email: photos@campos-davis.co.uk
WEB SITE: http://www.campos-davis.co.uk

----------
From: Chris Stone <cstone05@sprynet.com>
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: mysterious whorls
Date: Sunday, 18 April, 1999 9:56 PM

Has anyone had the misfortune of battling whorls on sheet film? I've
recently started developing with nitrogen burst, using small tanks
patterned on those described by Gordon Hutchings. While making
interpositives on 4x5 film, developed for about 5-7 minutes in D-23, I've
begun noticing a number of whorls appearing randomly, like fingerprints
from God (they're not mine--I wear gloves). Sometimes one or two of these
whorls will appear; sometimes half a dozen or more. I've adjusted the force
and duration of the nitrogen bursts, but this doesn't seem to make a
difference. The marks appear in different places each time. The marks don't
occur when I develop with pyro, or at least they're not visible on prints.
It's only when making enlarged negatives. They don't occur when I process
in trays, but since I'm loathe to spend any longer than necessary in the
dark, I'm hoping there may be a solution. Any suggestions would be very
much appreciated.

-- Matthew