Re: waxing negs

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:04:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Sil Horwitz wrote:
> ...... If your
> "paraffin wax" is a liquid, it's not what Judy is referring to, as in chemical
> terminology, all "paraffins" are solid, waxy substances.

My hunch on this, in the absence of any *theoretical* knowledge, is that
the reason the paraffin I speak of, which is SOLID in its "normal," or
room-temperature state, is best for the purpose (or best in my experience)
is exactly that -- it's a solid, and once cooled on the paper, which it
does instantly, is more stable and *solid*, hence permanent.

My experience with the oils is that they are, exactly, *oils* in their
natural state, so even if they don't dry out in time, oxidize I suppose
(good chemical word?) into the air, they risk being sticky, gummy, etc.,
and to prevent that requires extra effort in the application, if it is
ultimately preventable.

Since my tests (with densitometer, please be advised) showed that the
paraffin rendered the paper AT LEAST as transparent, I thereupon turned my
attention to other matters of national importance...

cheers,

Judy