Re: chrysotype again -- and try this!

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:49:02 -0600

Nze,

Good experimenting. I did some exploring of the Chrysotype a few month ago.

I now reveal what may be a big secret. This appeared to work in a few short
experiments but I have not had the time to find out if the results I think
I saw were real. Sometimes you can be fooled into thinking something is
happening which is not.

Like you I started looking for other gold compounds to use and I found out
about gold sodium thiosulfate. I had previously tried a bunch of other gold
compounds like sodium gold chloride, etc. Just about everything worked and
so I expected gold sodium thiosulfate to work as well. When I used the gold
sodium thiosulfate I got nothing --- absolutely nothing, not even a hint of
an image. I then thought to myself, "myself, there is a message here!"

One of the problems with POP chrysotype is the streams of purple colloidal
gold that comes off the print when it is in the water or developer. This
does tend to stain quite a bit if you are not careful. Upside down or
flooding the print with a stream of water helps. Well I tried putting the
print immediately in a tray of sodium thiosulfate. It works, no purple
flowing off the print. (This may be confusing as hell as now we are using
fix as a shortstop!)

Now the real test as I have not tried this yet but my instincts say it will
work. If you are using gold in a lithium Ziatype, try going into the bath
of thiosulfate first. I think the intensification occurring in a Gold/Zia
print is due to action of the gold in relation to the palladium which cause
the sever contrast boost. You may be able to really load up a Ziatype with
gold and not get the severe contrast and intensification that normally
happens since the thiosulfate will halt any further action by the gold.

If you try it I am sure you will let us know whether it works or not.

--Dick Sullivan

At 10:12 AM 4/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>hello all
>
>I put some test print of the chrysotype print I made.
>If you want to take a look , go to the technical page.
>

>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/nzec
>
>nze christian

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com