Re: Digital is not *easier* [Was: Too much equipment]

Peter Mikalajunas (kd9fb@xnet.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:06:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:12:35 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>Pete Mikalajunas: Can you give some details on how you evaluate
negatives
>using the scanner? -- Marty Magid

Sure Marty.

I scan the neg into photoshop then click on the negative option to convert
the image to a positive.

I use it the way I used to use an initial contact print.
Except now, I have it quicker. It also allows me to "play" a bit. I can
vary the contrast, etc. Do a cursory dodge or burn to get some idea of
what I eventually want to see in the final print. It also allows me to
"play" with cropping very quickly.

Sometimes I will play with the hue / saturation to see how the image may
look as a cyanotype, etc.

It is far from a perfect alternative, but I find it helpful. Nothing that
can't be done in the darkroom in a more traditional manner.