Re: First try at Carbon printing.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:14:35 -0400 (EDT)

> > 4. Can the sensitizer be brushed on rather than tray soaked?
>
> So I've read. I've never tried that.

Klaus Pollmeier, one of the premier carbon printers of the world (so sue
me, it's true), explained precisely how to do that, with detailed
illustrations along the way -- can you guess where?

Oh all right, all right, I'll tell you -- World Journal of Post-Factory
Photography, Issue #2.

Subheads of the long article include "Materials,", "Printing," "Air
Bells," "The Transfer," "Development," "Transfer to Final Paper," and
"Finishing."

The caption for one illustration reads, "50% alkohol + 50% water:
Although much less sensitizer is needed when applied with a brayer
(above), I solved a highlight problem by soaking in potassium dichromate,
as below, with added ammonia. Potassium dichromate alone gains speed
quickly and then fogs. The ammonia slows it down and gives more consistent
results over several hours."

There follow instructions on drying, keeping flat, etc.

If any persons reading these words don't know how to get a copy of this
essential publication, e-mail me offlist & I will reveal.

PS. We do have a spell check, but thought "alkohol" added a continental
flavor, Klaus being a German national whose project was 105 carbon
transfer prints of work by the Czechoslovakian photographer Frantisek
Drtikol (yes, that's spelled right).

Judy