Re: gum neg

Julian Smart (planetzed@btinternet.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 20:38:42 +0100

Judy wrote:

> Gum is infinitely subtle & variable, and just when you think it's safe to
> make a generalization -- ooops, it all depends..

Judy,
I'm not sure whether I was attempting to generalise, but thinking my
statements through with a hefty slice of hindsight has left me thinking
that the neg. in question is probably exactly how it should be. It is my
limited experience (or just possibly the wrong type of paper) that is
lacking. The neg. does give a beatiful multi-coat print- delicate, light
colours/long exposures for the highlights increasing to heavier colours and
shorter exposures for the shadows, but of all the prints I've done over the
last few months,this is the only one that won't clear without lots of very
delicate brushwork.
It was the first 'taken for gum' picture I printed and I was delighted with
the results I got. It was also the first gum print I have had commissioned
and I still find it very difficult. I'm not too worried, though, as I have
got what I wanted from it!!

I would like to say a great big thanks to the list- I've learned literally
everything I now know about Gum and alt-processes from you all :~)

Julian.