Re: [Re: tray cleaning formula]

Ström (strom_photo@usa.net)
Wed, 12 May 1999 23:57:16 -0400 (EDT)

Judy,

Guilt is not egosyntonic and is not ego in origin. So, I would suggest that
it is also not remedial (my premise being that ego is the only source of adult
appropriate actions), leading to corrections or undoing. It is painful and
rejected by the ego as incompatible. Ego states that might result from
avoiding guilt, could be effective in changing behavior. Hopefully the ego's
ability to plan according to its experience and expectations of self, prevent
the necessity of remediation ("giving things back"). So much for
psychodynamics.

I hope you are well.

Ström

Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Chris Stone wrote:

> Does anyone happen to have a formula for making an effective tray
> cleaner? I seem to recall there was a formula in the last issue of PF
> Journal. Since I've loaned that issue out--and it seems as likely to
> return as the tools I loaned my neighbor last month--I'd be grateful
> for suggestions. Much thanks. -- Matthew Hoffman

Matthew, the next issue of Post-Factory, should it ever appear in this
mortal coil, is going to have a thumb ID imprinted in the paper. No one
not the rightful owner can keep it more than 24 hours... If they do, all
their photo paper will fog.

As for tray cleaner, there is a difference of opinion. Or let's say
depends what you want it for. Liam Lawless for instance says just plain
bleach (clorox in this country) is what he finds most effective.

The two in Post-Factory were....

First one has a name or number, maybe Kodak Tray Cleaner or like that
though they don't do it any more:

For plastic trays: 1 litre water, 90g potassium bichromate, 90 cc
concentrated sulfuric. Dissolve bichromate in water, add acid slowly
stirring. Pour into tray to be cleaned, slosh to all parts, pour off and
rinse until yellow stain is gone.

Save the solution, which can be re-used almost indefinitely.

And I did use it almost indefinitely, until it was down to a few ounces,
which is how I rationalized using the nasty stuff -- after all, clorox
isn't good for the water table either.

The other is milder:

1% potassium permanganate followed by 5% sodium bisulfite to remove
managnese stain, then rinsed well.

This I never found as effective, but maybe I didn't give it a fair trial.

Both by the way are on bottom of page 36, issue #2. (Issue #3 if I have
room maybe I'll put a box "stolen from" for your name? Does guilt make
people give things back?)

Judy

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1