Re: [Re: tray cleaning formula]

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 14 May 1999 00:03:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, [UNKNOWN] Ström wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Guilt is not egosyntonic and is not ego in origin. So, I would suggest that

Oh, oh, more false doctrine, it's everywhere... What's ego syntonic is
*relieving* guilt...

Guilt can be either conscious or unconscious in origin. Conscious is of
course much more easily dealt with. What is unconscious is the business of
psychotherapy. In other words, the box I propose for the owner to enter
his/her name on his/her issue of Post-Factory to be really effective
should press the *unconscious* guilt button, leading to restitution as an
act of assuagement. Or perhaps a course of psychoanalysis.

> it is also not remedial (my premise being that ego is the only source of adult
> appropriate actions), leading to corrections or undoing. It is painful and

All the agencies of the mind, the superego, the ego, and the id, have
aspects of themselves which are unconscious. If guilt from the unconscious
were dealt with so handily as you seem to propose, the whole kit and
caboodle of psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists and
psychoanalysts would be out of business and their children barefoot and
hungry.

> rejected by the ego as incompatible. Ego states that might result from
> avoiding guilt, could be effective in changing behavior. Hopefully the ego's
> ability to plan according to its experience and expectations of self, prevent
> the necessity of remediation ("giving things back"). So much for
> psychodynamics.

Uh oh. Permit me to recommend Bowlby, a title something like, "Criminal
Out of a Sense of Guilt" -- case history of becoming criminal out of the
need to have something *real* to feel guilty about, as the NOT-understood
feeling from the unconscious can be intolerable.

The box for the owner's name on Post-factory, being visible and conscious,
might or might not lead the borrowers into a life of greater crime. My own
guilt about using bad chemicals is also conscious, and so presumably can
be dealt with and not drive me to further criminality either.

However, there is the thought that if one uses the milder potassium
permanagante, all that purple stuff down the drain could have an effect on
the water table. Does it break down in the sewer? Would it cure thrush if
you brush your teeth with it? Someone said that if dogs peed purple, the
streets of NYC would all be bright purple, but I guess that's off topic...

We have been told, as I recall, that the dichromates we pour down the
drain are soon chromium 2 (was that it?) and not so bad as cracked up to
be. But it does seem that potassium permanganate might be a better choice
for disposal reasons... Does anyone have any knowledge about that?
(seriously).

On the other hand, I think I recall reading somewhere that guilt is what
makes the world go round..

cheers,

Judy