Re: colour trans.

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 11:15:16 -0700

Subject: colour trans.

> Tom Ferguson wrote:
>
> >"My experience shooting color slides for enlarged negs for alt
> > processes......... only use it to shoot mid to flat scenes!"
> >

> Tom, I have to agree on that one!!
>
> Thinking about it, it occurred to me that it should be possible to expand
> the tonal range of almost any E6 col.tran. film simply by substituting the
> standard first developer for a softer working one (contrast could even be
> increased like this-water bath, extended development etc) and altering the
> time/temp/sg of the col. dev. bath. Results would probably be horrible as
> colour trans, but for internegging......
>
> The current crop of new, high tech films has, ironically, made matters
much
> worse for the alt-printer, giving as they do, extra colour saturation and
> edge sharpness to the detriment of a longer tonal range. Older, lower
tech.
> films such as Ektachrome 100, 64 etc. were able to hold much better detail
> in the highlights, even at 1.5 stops over a zone 5 reading. They just got
> paler, but retained detail. Results, I found were (comparatively) horrible
> as colour trans, but for internegging.......!!
>
> Julian.

Another way to expand the range of reversal film is to 'pre expose' by
exposing the film to a grey card, out of focus, at 1/3 the stop for the
intended photograph, first. It's a double exposure, frame at a time. You
get balanced shadow and highlight detail with good saturation if exposed
properly.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA