Re: gum neg

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 16:34:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Julian Smart wrote:
> shorter exposures for the shadows, but of all the prints I've done over the
> last few months,this is the only one that won't clear without lots of very
> delicate brushwork.

"Clearing" in my experience is related to many factors besides the
negative. Did anything else change? Sometimes certain pigments, for
instance, or pigments with a certain gum, or one or the other with a
particular paper/size combination, is the culprit.

Usually (tho not always), a negative will "clear" if it's developed long
enough... how long was your soak in this one?

Judy