Re: Cyanotype formula comparison

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 09 May 1999 14:22:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 May 1999 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> One way might be for me to do an article for Judy on my cyanotype tests since
> I tested a lot of other stuff like paper, toning, drying etc. If Judy does
> not want the article, then I could certainly send the prints to you. I do
> not have a scanner or website.

And if you do NOT do that article for Judy she's going to fly right down
there on her broomstick and put a HEX on you !

I, too, by the way, have found in the fits and starts of time I've had to
investigate it, that there are amazingly amazing controls in cyanotype by
timing age on the paper and time AFTER exposure, also I'm given an acid
after bath has worked very well for someone (not me, in my earlier
trials). I just have to get out of the bowels of digital hell to try it...

> I always start beginning alt process printers with cyanotype because it is
> so easy to get a nice print and not as toxic as other processes. However,
> cyano fools you. If you want a great print you have to do a lot more work.

I'd put a slightly different spin on it, Bob -- cyano is so beautiful just
as emulsion and color almost everything looks good, but it actually is
capable of pretty much the fine tweaking of pl-pd (it is iron, you know),
but that brown stuff NEEDS to be perfect or it's blah....

Judy