Re: Vellum

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 01:20:39 -0700

Dive in!

Well, I did anyway. Since I am doing enough 'experimenting' in nearly ever
imaginable process right now, I didn't want to go test new papers. So, I stuck
with one that others have had some success with - Wyndstone vellum. Check the
archives for more information on this paper.

I have made both Ware Ammonium and traditional Develop-Out Pt/Pd prints on it,
and am blown away by it. The few prints that I've taken to the end on
Wyndstone are among my favorites that I've ever done in Pt/Pd. For what it is
worth, here is what I've learned.

Be prepared to hassle with the Wyndstone papers at the drying stage. They are
a nightmare. I've successfully printed on the 5 pt paper - though this paper
demands a lot of care. The problem isn't just that it dries terribly, but it
can buckle and cause white marks where the pressure modified the structure too
greatly. I keep my prints wet until they are ready to go into the dryer. The
print dryer (for intaglio, etc) that is.. once they are under pressure (a few
hundred pounds in such a bizarre rig), and sit there for four days.. they come
out perfect. The 3 and 2.5pt papers are still a pain too, but I suspect more
manageable. Since I have the dryer, I use it the heavier paper. Maybe some
other vellum printers can share their secrets?

-Adam