Re: Anyone ever tried this?

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 12 May 1999 09:31:17 -0600

Joseph,

It was just a flippant comment though it seems that it might work. In a
word, no I haven't done it with a phono turntable though it seems like it
is about the right speed. I'd put it down in an enclosure. I'd make sure
the top of the turntable was flat and level. I'd fix the Mylar to something
flat like a piece of glass.

(Years ago I noticed that the bonding material (3M Pliobond) for putting
down Formica worked great as a temporary sticky stuff. If you coat two
pieces with the stuff and stick them together they are impossible to pull
apart. If you coat only one piece and stick something to it, you can peel
it off later with no trouble. The stickiness lasts for several weeks maybe
even months. I made a neat bleed edge photo easel using it. I took a piece
of plywood and glued down a couple of strips of wood to make a corner. I
then coated the board with 3M Pliobond. You could then stick your enlarging
paper down nice and flat and then peel it up quite nicely. I would try
coating the glass with Pliobond and sticking the Mylar down on it. After
coating and drying you should be able to peel the Mylar off with no sticky
stuff sticking to the back.)

I'd wear gloves and hold the plate with the Mylar stuck on it in one hand
and pour the the coating while tipping and rolling the plate to get it all
over evenly. Then I put it on the turntable set at the proper speed.
(What's that? That's to figure out.)

--Dick