Re: tray cleaning formula

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 13 May 1999 21:41:41 -0700

At 06:23 AM 5/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
> Does anyone happen to have a formula for making an effective tray
>cleaner? I seem to recall there was a formula in the last issue of PF
>Journal. Since I've loaned that issue out--and it seems as likely to return
>as the tools I loaned my neighbor last month--I'd be grateful for
>suggestions. Much thanks. -- Matthew Hoffman

I am catching up with e-mail after Netcom/Mindspring's 48+ hour e-mail
server outage.

Kodak has formulas for two tray cleaners. The first is the traditional
laboratory dichromate cleaner.
  Since Alt Processes people should be well aware of the hazards of
dichromate and probably have it around I have no misgivings in posting it
here.
 These are copied from the Formuals and Processing section of the Kodak
Reference Handbook.

Kodak TC-1

Water 1.0 liter
Potassium Bichromate 90.0 gm
Sulfuric acid, concentrated 96.0 ml

The usual precautions about adding the Sulfuric slowly to water apply.
This tray cleaner can be reused many times.
 Trays or glassware should be throroughly washed out with water after
cleaning.

Cleaner #2

Kodak TC-3 Tray Cleaner and Hand Stain Remover

Solution A

Water 1.0 liter
Potassium Permanganate 2.0 gm
Sulfuric Acid, concentrated 4.0 ml

Stor in a stoppered bottle away from light.

Solution B

Water 1.0 liter
Sodium Bisulfite 30.0 gm
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated 30.0 gm

  Solutions A and B can be used for several vessels but should be discarded
after use
  An acid fixing bath can be used in place of Solution B but it is
important to wash thoroughly to elimnnate hypo from the tray or hands.

  Cleaning Trays: To remove stains due to silver, silver lsulfide, and
manyu dyes, pour a small quantity of Solution A into the vessel and allow
to remain for a few minutes; rinse well and then replace with a similar
volume of Solution B. Atitate so as to clear the brown stain completely,
then wash thoroughly.

  Cleaning the Hands: To clean stains from teh nails and skin , remove
rings from the fingers and dip the hands in Solution A contained in a glass
or other suitable vessel, gently rubbing the stained areas.; Rinse briefly
in running water and immerse in Solution Bto remove the brown color; then
wash thoroughly, preferably in warm water.

RK, I think Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent used full strength will do for
Solution B.
TC-1, despite its hazards is still more a more effective cleaner than any
of the more envronmentally friendly or PC ones around now.
  Silver stains can also be removed by using a Ferricyanide bleach followed
by hypo.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.