Re: Gold toner question

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:47:11 +0000

Greetings-

Andy Buck wrote:
>I know this question is a somewhat non-alt,

This is in no way "off-topic" for a great many of us.... I hope you (and
others) will not hesitate to post these inquiries!

>I've tried twice to mix it (The Formulary's Nelson's gold toner), failing
both times. The second time sort of worked >in the mixing, but didn't tone.

Well, I have had a fair amount of experience with this particular toner,
but I cannot guess from what you've told me where the problem lies. So I'll
ask a few questions:

1. Are you mixing the first stage of the solution at 125* and does the
solution turn milky white immediately after mixing?

2. What kind of paper are you trying to tone? (warm tone or cold tone?)
Cold tone papers, esp Ilford and Kodak, are pretty bulletproof to this toner.

3. How long did you tone the print(s) for? And was the temp of the toner
maintained at 100* -110* the entire time?

4. Are you allowing the toner to "temper" overnight before use?

5. Have you discussed this with the Formulary? They are usually pretty
helpful with these sorts of problems.

>So, if there's anyone in the Northeast, reasonably close to Hartford CT
who is >successful at mixing it and would be willing to mix up a batch, for
a fee of
>course, let me know and I'll come get it!!!

I'm in Maine, but it shouldn't come to this! It mixes fairly easily. And
it's more than worth the trouble to mix, lasts a great long while once
mixed, and can perform a variety of functions with the right papers.

Good luck!

Jon Bailey
St.George, Maine