Re: Gold toner question

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:33:48 -0600

Andy,

You didn't mention the ingredients but this is a common occurrence when
using old formulas. Quite often one of the chemicals was hydrated, that is
it had more water in it than todays version. Today there is a tendency to
use dehydrated versions. This is often the case with the alkalis. In this
way the companies do not have to ship a lot of water around. Check a
chemical manual and see if one of the components has different water
numbers like .2H20 or .9H20, if so either use the higher numbered one or
calculate the water percentage and use that much less of it.

The old formulas for Kallitype black developers used Borax with 9H20
whereas the common borax today is drier. This results in a tray full of
sludge if you use todays version with the old formula.

In some other cases one of the ingredients is a solvent and it is offset by
a either it or the other components being wetter due to atmospheric
humidity absorption. Some chemicals are like cake flour and you have to
adjust according to weather conditions.

If while you are formulating the toner as you add one compound, a
precipitate is dissolving but it does not all dissolve, it is a good bet
you can keep adding what you are adding until it does.

Van Dyke formulas vary and will kick out a silver white precipitate. This
is solved by adding more of the tartaric acid until it does.

Hope this helps

--Dick Sullivan