Re: Indoors film speed

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 20 May 1999 09:36:56 -0400

John Erbes wrote:

> Gary,
> It's my understanding that film speeds are slower indoors typically by a
> stop or so as compared to their rated outdoor speed. I don't know why,
> but I'm sure that someone on the list will explain.
>
> John Erbes

At one time manufacturers gave a _tungsten_ film speed for b&w materials
that was typically just a picky 1/3 stop slower than the daylight speed,
this because typical pan films were slightly less sensitive to red light
than blue and tungsten light is much lower in color temperature than
typical daylight. But this isn't true of most modern films, and in any
case wouldn't apply to strobes at all (which are daylight or higher in
color temperature) or flourescents, which are now more common "indoor"
light sources anywhere except private homes.

---Carl