Re: Indoors film speed

Darlington Media Group (postmaster@mediaworkshop.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 20 May 1999 20:12:48 +0100

>John Erbes wrote:
>>
>> Gary,
>> It's my understanding that film speeds are slower indoors typically by a
>> stop or so as compared to their rated outdoor speed. I don't know why,
>> but I'm sure that someone on the list will explain.

It may not be film speed at all that influences the final negative density.
Many studio photographers using medium format equipment, without TTL
metering, have adapted and reduced their E.I. rating empirically to allow
for bellows/focus extension. This is explained in Gene Nocon's bbok on
Black and White printing.

                        Cheers......Tony McLean.