Re: VMI processing question

Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:11:26 -0500

Michael, I have used a cotton ball to gently rub the precipitate off of the
film. This is done after the water wash and before photo flo. While wearing
gloves, hold the film in a smooth tray, and gently rub the orange precipitate
off under a low water flow. I have done this with both 4x5 and 35mm film
stocks. The 35mm was harder to clean due to the sprocket holes. The two
minutes of intensification may be too much time. This works very fast,
perhaps starting with 30second intervals would help reduce the formation of
the orange precipitate. You can redo it if the 30 seconds was not enough. If
you are not already doing so, use distilled water make the final rinse with
your wetting agent(photo flo).

EJ

"Michael F. Jacobson" wrote:

> Need some help with the following;
>
> I've got some very thin 35mm Tech Pan Film exposed at EI 200, developed
> in C-76 for five minutes and after some struggle attempting to lith
> print, I decided to intensify the negatives in Mercuric Chloride.
>
> The prints of the negatives were thin and muddy on grade 5
> Ilford MC IV RC as well as Sterling lith paper developed in
> dilute lith.
>
> After a water bath of 10 minutes the negatives were intensified
> for 2 minutes in VMI Mercuric Chloride and washed for ten minutes,
> photo-floed and dried.

<SNIP>

--
Eric J. Neilsen