Re: Modified Zia Formula

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:27:25 -0600

>Basically your tests are searching out the best way to overcome the
>mistake of using too much solution. I found (and reported here) that the
>best ziatypes--especially on the Crane paper you are using--result from
>using just 12 drops each of afo and metal solution (half what you are
>using) applied with a glass or acrylic rod. More solution applied with a
>rod is wasted, it just doesn't go into the paper. More solution applied
>with a brush results in a worse print. As far as I can tell this
>phenomenon is specific to zia. When I ran across it I immediately made
>similar tests with traditional develop out materials and found that at a
>certain point, using more solution stopped improving the result, but it
>did not cause results to worsen. Experience with one method can't be
>assumed to hold true for the other.

I have to agree with Carl on this one. Recent experience confirms this. In
the winter it gets very dry here, as low as 10% RH is not unusual. I have a
large darkroom -- 17 x 22 feet with a 11 foot ceiling. Getting it up to Zia
print levels in the winter requires either three days of running a large
humidifier or covering the floor with 5 gallons of hot water and waiting an
hour. Sloshing around in a wet darkroom is no fun.

The obvious solution would be to build a smaller printing and coating room
that could be more easily controlled, but I just haven't gotten around to
doing it.

I've found that I can go into the dry darkroom and coat and print if I coat
wet and brush it in a lot. It works, and I can get very good prints, but it
tends to be a little flaky and a lot of work besides. A while back the
humidity came back and I went back to Carl's rod coating system with the 12
drops each and WOW! Yes consistent gorgeous prints! While the wet coated
prints were smooth in the skies, the rod coated ones were luscious and
buttery. The rod coated ones were consistent and easy to match.

I am going to build a small printing booth inside the darkroom. I am a
believer now.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com