Re: Hot Pressed Paper

Altview@aol.com
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

I use a technique which does eliminate some of the texture of the paper when
it is removed from the wash water. I use Cranes platinotype, which does
change significantly during the wet cycles. Once the paper is finished
washing, I place the print face down on an angled piece of glass in a wooden
frame (for support) and using a squeegee, remove as much of the excess water
as possible. Then I use a 6" rubber brayer, the type used to make woodblock
prints, to run over the back of the print starting from left to right, top to
bottom. This will remove additional amounts of moisture from the print. I
then, with great pressure, run the brayer over the print several times. This
acts almost like a platten and presses the fibers back down. It makes a
subtle but noticeable difference. The print is then pulled off the glass and
allowed to dry. Under no circumstances is this to be applied to the front of
the print as it will damage the fragile surface. This should work with a
multitude of papers and give various results. Try it with the hot press and
see if it makes any differece. The brayers are available at any art store.
Hope this helps.

Patrick Alt