Re: Question about FX-2

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Sun, 23 May 1999 21:24:20 -0700

Subject: Re: Question about FX-2
The close reading of both volumes shows there are two formulas for 1 liter
in the DR Cookbook versus the Film Developing Cookbook.

First, you mix two solutions that can be stored, seperately with pk yellow
as a third solution; thusly storage in Sol A, Sol B and Sol C. It is in the
DR Cookbook and the kit sold by the Photographers' Formulary that I have
been using all weekend and for several months, now; and with supberb
results.

I mix 50ml Sol A with 50 ml Sol B and 3.5 ml Pk Yellow; actually I didn't
notice the double of that and same PK Yellow was in the Film Developing
Cookbook. I wouldn't recommend that formula.

So, we're talking about two formulas, and the discussions about diluting it
for extended developing times and all that seem silly to me, too; because
the DR Cookbook formula, which is the same sold by Ph. Formulary works very,
very well.

I have found several things, now in the Film Developing Cookbook that are
causing bad results; a 'new' way of agitating and extending development
times caused me to ruin some negs. They make no attempt to explain how to
recover from some of th emost common mistakes, errors from their advice that
has taken ME through many offices, now and much inquirery. Bleach and
redevelopment formulas, the understanding about swelled grain from
development extended too long; and a load of film development lore sorely
missed by following this book alone as though it were the Darkroom Cookbook
that has -- by comparision -- proven to be well written without flaw.

In the end, I have still found Edwall FG 7 to be the most faithful, economic
and offering consistent results with a bonus of being consistent in various
temperatures, changes without notice in results. I still don't know how it
behaves in the Jobo, though.

In the end, I am having a ball with this FX 2 that remains true to the
description and if for no other reason will probably remain using it because
at thispoint, I can count on ultra fine results.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA

It is my pleasure to help alleviateany frustration in choosing a film
developer, as I was helped when I found this FX 2 in the books, too.

> The Film Developing Cookbook contains a working formula for 1 liter (p.
59)
> and a concentrate formula for stock solutions. (p. 127). The stock
solution
> formula in the FDC is apparently different from the original Crawley
> formula, which was much more concentrated (see earlier message from
Richard