Re: Pyrocatechin, was Amount carbonate in developer

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Wed, 26 May 1999 11:47:08 -0500

I should have said streaking and/or staining. I have experienced some
staining (though often very slight, and sometimes on the back of the film
rather than the emulsion) with rotary processing in tubes. However, this
can usually be eliminated by pre-soaking the film and adding some EDTA to
the developer so I don't see this as a major problem.

The streaking has resulted from my attempt to use PMK with minimal
agitation (sheet film in tray). I assume it results from all these
oxidation by-products settling on one area of the film when it is there
still for long periods of time.

In any event, constant or almost constant agitation with PMK seems the best
way to use this developer.

Sandy King