Platinum printing for beginners!

Stephen Edgar (sredgar@dna1.dnet.co.uk)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:08:22 +0100

Hi Folks,
I'm keen to have a go at platinum printing, but I'm confused as to the simplest way to get started. There appear to be many ways of approaching the topic.
What is the simplest way for a newcomer to the process to get reasonable results ?

I have a 4" x 5" camera and could produce 'proper' negatives for contact printing. However,having recently purchased Dan Burkholders book, "Making Digital Negatives",this seems a more flexible pathway, in that perhaps I could even work from 35mm negatives?

In 1995 I purchased some Palladio paper, but never got around to using it. Would this still be OK (it is still hermetically sealed), or might this be a point of weakness in trying to get some reasonable results to spur me on!

I have read many of the platinum-printing overviews that are on the Net (such as Jeffrey Mathias' excellent site), but I would appreciate some 'have-a-go' practical advice on the best way to proceed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Stephen Edgar
Holywood, Northern Ireland