Re: darkrooms & water

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 16:23:03 -0400

Kathryn Garrison wrote:

> It is apparently the volume of water that's a bigger deal. She recommended
> for the time I'd be using a septic system I'd probably want to avoid FB
> paper because of the length of time/volume of water needed to wash. It's
> an old septic tank in need of an overhaul anyway and using that much water
> could likely cause me problems!

If time is not an issue (or perhaps especially if it is), you can really get by
with a lower water flow using FB paper by going with a short Rapid Fix at film
strength (as recommended by Ilford), and then using long soaks as opposed to
lengthy washes with a high flow of water. I've experimented with this, and it
was successful on all the papers I've used _except_ Kodak's Polyfiber (which is
trash anyway<g>). Other multi and graded papers tested clean for residual fixer
and residual silver. The short fix minimizes your darkroom time, but the
overnight soaks add a day to your print production time. Of course, it's
especially advantageous if you're doing a number of prints at once.