Re: Bloom Rating

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Wayde and All,

After a year ago (or longer) I asked about the question of Bloom and gelatin
and related questions, but like yourself, I haven't found good answers either.

> In other words, a 7% gelatin solution made
> with 175 bloom gelatin will be stiffer than a 7% solution of 80 bloom
> gelatin, and this will affect the way the solution will coat.

Some have decided to use hard gelatin and said it worked best for them. I was
and am interested in knowing if one make, say, a 10% solution of hard
gelatin, and a compatibly hard solution (more percentage) of gelatin with a
softer gelatin, will it work more or less the same.

> However, I have recipes from about 10
> different sources and the ratios of glycerin and sugar are extremely
> variable. Carbon tissue made from these recipes is also fairly brittle
> and prone to cracking.

I find it difficult to understand (although I am not saying that it is wrong)
that sugar is used as plasticizer. Direct feeling would tell me that the
emulsion would become brittle with sugar, as you also found. Honey is also
used, which makes more sense to me; but in either case I can't find a good
explanation. I have my "guess" for the explanation, which I will post in
reply to your other post.

Dave S