Re: Deionized Ossein vs. Knox

Terry King (KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com)
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 17:10:37 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
>Terry King was the guy who was pushing the use of deionized ossein for
paper sizing. He claimed that it worked great and required no chemical
hardening. You might want to take a look at the list archives to see what
has been said about it. I personally have no experience with the stuff.
<

I used it originally when we needed a hard gelatine for oil prints. We
asked Kodak what they used and they told us. It worked. It also works for
carbon tissue and receiving paper. As it is deioinised the risk of metallic
contamination of other salts is minimised. That is why I use it for sizing
paper for the solution processes such as platinum, cyanotype and kallitype.
 it provides an excellent basis for gum(0.1% alum) giving a sound
foundation for numbers of continuous tone coats ) . I use Croda Colloids
260 Bloom deionised ossein available in 50 kilo sacks from the
manufacturers or in smaller quantities from Dick Sullivan and Silverprint.

Terry King