gelatine/ossein

Terry King (KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 06:45:04 -0400

From: Terry King,
To: alt process, INTERNET:alt-photo-process-request@USASK.CA

Date: 6/4/99 10:53 AM

RE: gelatine/ossein

As the first message I saw on this list when I resubscribed said that I
was'the guy who had been pushing ossein', I thought it best to set out,
briefly, to what uses I had put it including carbon printing. In each one
of uses, except one, I have found that I got good to excellent results.
Comparative tests demonstrated that gelatine off the supermarket shelf gave
better results than ossein for making carbon tissue. It is also worth
remembering that if one is using ossein for sizing prints, where platinum
is included in the light sensitive solution, it is advisable to keep the
strength down to 1%. At any greater strength there is increasing danger
that the platinum will fall off the paper on development and be washed down
the sink . When an alum hardened size or other hard substrates are used
for'gums' thinner gums may be used.

My methods for sizing are in the archive. They are worth following up as a
sized print has an edge over an unsized print. It is only a small 'tweak'
but a 'tweak' worth making.

These comments are based upon twenty-five years experience of alternative
processes working with many respected practicioners some of were among my
students.

Terry King